Saturday, December 04, 2010

Christmas Spirit

The Pegasus club (EM spouses club) put together a Christmas party for the kids this year. They even convinced one of my fellow employees to dress up like Santa and let kids take pictures with him. They did a really great job decorating for the party and thinking up activities for all the kids to have fun with. The whole week prior I talked to Jaydon about visitng Santa and saying hi and sitting on his lap hoping this would be a good picture opt. The day of the party I let Jaydon have a nice long afternoon nap (which meant we arrived at the party at the very end) and walked around the nicely decorated room. We got to Santa and Jaydon took one look at him and latched on to me with all legs and arms and refused to even look at him. If I took any motion towards him he started to say "No,No,No Santa". A few knowing parents smiled at this exchange. As soon as Santa said goodbye to all kids and started to leave Jaydon perked right up. We followed Santa out the door (at a safe distance) and Jaydon very enthusatically said "Bye, Bye Santa" once he was about half a block away. But Jaydon loved all the Christmas trees and the variety of neat decorations so he got me inspired to go buy a tree. We've only done a tree twice (I think) in Doha and both times I've found a real one. This year they were just too expensive. I think they realized that expats were willing to pay anything for them so they marked up the price. For half the price of a real tree I bought this very nice fake tree. Which ended up being much bigger in the house than it looked in the store. Fourtunatly Steve has a lot of experience with putting together fake trees so I supervised (and fluffed branches) and he did most of the work.

No comments: