Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sailing San Fran bay

Sarah learned that the Air Force has purchased a new sailboat that was open for anyone to rent with a captain for a small fee.


She had asked us months back if we were interested and it sounded like a great idea. Given the price I assumed it was a quick tour of the bay and back to shore. Once I arrived I realized it was scheduled for bright and early the morning after the wedding. Now I can't think of an idea worse than getting on a sailboat the morning after a wedding.


Jet lag made sure that I didn't sleep-in past 6 once the whole trip (as soon as I'd get a little adjusted I'd move west a few more time zones) so i was up nice and early and started hydrating early. The weather looked a little rough and it was very foggy. Several of us tried to bail out but peer pressure won over and we all set off. The captain of the boat was a great guy and was just the kind of person you'd want to be stuck on a boat with for several hours.


During the safety talk Jen (my brother's girlfriend) had her hangover greet her head-on, so to say. We hand't even untied the ropes yet and already had puking over the side of the boat (imagine what the captain was thinking). We debated whether to leave her behind but she insisted she was fine. We headed out.


Got our picture under the Golden Gate Bridge and realized she was not so fine. She spent the rest of the trip with a bucket at her side at all times.


Also, none of us realized this was an all day tour so we came completely unprepared, no food, no water, no sunscreen.


The captain took pity on us and after making a tour around Alcatraz brought us to Angel island were we got some lunch. None of us were feeling 100% yet so there was a lot of chicken soup ordered for lunch. Jen's came back to greet her as soon as she got back on the boat.


The captain realized we were not die-hard sailors so he turned the engines on and brought us back to shore for, what else, some drinks. We thanked him and said goodbye and rushed off to our dinner date with at our cousin Michele's house. She lives in a cute house in San Fran and had invited all the Forte's over for a low key family reunion dinner. She also has 2 kids the same ages as Jaydon and Tylor so I got to appease my Dr.Seuss withdrawals by reading them stories all night and playing with their puzzles and dress-up clothes. It was quite a day.

No comments: