Sunday, July 24, 2011

2 months old

Tylor is 2 months old and what a 2 months it’s been. I’ve decided we will call this his anti-birthday because rather than having fun things like ice cream or cake Tylor gets to have antibiotics, antivirals, antihistamines and antifever medicine... So 2 weeks after Jaydon had Chicken Pox, Tylor got them - as expected it was a very mild case that hardly bothered him. Jaydon had been well for 1 week when he came down with a throat infection that starting his coughing fits up again. He went on antibiotics and 3 days later he was worse than ever, waking up every hour in coughing fits so hard they made him throw-up and spending most of the day crying saying no-no-no. I brought him back to the doctor and he had to have a chest x-ray that confirmed a bad case of bronchitis that required him to be hospitalized since he wasn’t responding to antibiotics. Since Tylor’s immune system was already in full gear with the chicken pox he also came down with a cough and the same day that Jaydon went into the hospital, Tylor started sneezing out yellow mucus. Since we weren’t sure what had made Jaydon so sick the pediatrician wanted to be cautious and put Tylor on 4 different medicines. Jaydons bronchitis was a viral one (which is why the antibiotics didn’t help) and after 2 days of IV fluids and some oxygen nebulization in the hospital he was ready to go home and spend the next week taking it easy. He lost over a kilo through this but fortunately Tylor made it through much better. All the medicine made Tylor sleep like a champ, he started going for 4-5 hour stints at night which was well needed since we were still up with Jaydon quite frequently to give him medicine and coax him back to sleep from coughing fits. Also, Tylor had reflux that made me feel like every time I was feeding him I was really just re-supplying the milk fountain that was soon to come but the medicine seemed to help him keep the milk in his stomach but it also caused him to be constipated which required more medicine (suppositories – fun!). I have a feeling it was all that sugar they put in medicines. Between Jaydon, Tylor and don’t forget Athena (see previous post)I was a regular pharmacist dispensing medicine on so many different intervals (6, 8, 12 hours) and so many different requirements (before/after/with food, before bed, as needed, when standing on your head – well you get the idea) that I had to keep track of it all on paper. And just to finish off July, we learned that Jaydon’s warts on his shoulders which had starting spreading quite badly were contagious and needed to be removed immediately so the first day of him going back to school (with what I thought would be a quick trip to the dermatologist before school) turned into a full body wart removal session with Jaydon coming home covered in band-aids and back on antibiotics again. It’s a good thing he’s such a trooper and that Tylor is to small to know any better… This was the only picture I got where both Jaydon and Steve were looking at the camera at the same time and Tylor sneezed :)

No comments: